Chris is a top-flight insurance-coverage and appellate litigator. He has written briefs in over 20 appellate matters and has experience with CGL, D&O, EPL, Professional Liability, Homeowner’s, Commercial Property, Business Income, Excess/Umbrella, and life insurance coverage. He is known for his ability to penetrate complex issues, identify and wrangle the relevant details, and present them to courts with clarity and wit. He uses those skills to his clients’ advantage when disputes go to court, where providing a clear argument in a complicated case can be the difference between winning and losing. Chris’s clients range from individual policyholders to multi-national companies, and he has assisted clients in disputes ranging from $1,200 to those involving hundreds of millions of dollars.
Chris is a summa cum laude graduate of the Michigan State University College of Law and comes to PSRB with experience in a broad range of legal subjects, including federal jurisdiction, civil procedure, e-discovery, administrative law, and evidence. He has also done extensive immigration work with the University of Michigan Law School’s Human Trafficking Clinic. As a member and Editor of the law review, he has reviewed hundreds of articles on current legal subjects and determined which ones would contribute best to the development of the law. And while clerking for Judge David McKeague on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit, he advised the Judge on 25% of the appeals assigned to the chambers, requiring him to learn about virtually every kind of law that surfaces in federal court. This broad knowledge base allows Chris to think about client problems creatively and pursue innovative legal strategies.
When he has time, Chris enjoys doing pro bono work, and is particularly interested in civil rights issues and in assisting survivors of human trafficking.
- J.D., summa cum laude, 2017, Michigan State University College of Law
- B.A., summa cum laude, 2014, Legal Studies, Ball State University
- United States Supreme Court, 2021
- United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit, 2019
- State of Indiana, 2019
- State of Michigan, 2017
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit, 2018
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Michigan, 2018
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan, 2018
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Indiana, 2018
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Indiana, 2018
- In re USA Gymnastics, No. 18-09108-RLM-11; Adv. No. 19-50012 (Bankr. S.D. Ind., Oct. 24, 2019), affirmed by USA Gymnastics v. ACE American Ins. Co. f/k/a CIGNA Ins. Co. et al., No. 1:18-cv-1306-RLY-MPB (S.D. Ind. Jan. 13, 2020)
2019 | Author
Article, Michigan Insurance and Indemnity Law Journal, Who Says I’m a Criminal? Marijuana Cultivation and the Criminal-Act Exclusion
2019 | Co-Author
Article, Law360, 7th Circ. Decision Creates Minefield for Insurance Industry