Andrea Townsend focuses her practice in the areas of environmental law and landowner liability, commercial real estate, insurance coverage, complex litigation, and business law. Andrea regularly assists clients with all aspects of environmental matters, including due diligence investigation, compliance, cleanups, cost-recovery actions, and Brownfield redevelopment. She has written on premises liability and the limited scope of Indiana’s Recreational Use Statute and Agritourism Statute. She frequently works with policyholders in a wide array of insurance coverage matters, including archeology searches for policies, claims handling, coverage disputes, and risk management and policy procurement. Andrea also counsels established and emerging businesses on corporate formation matters and general business issues including contract negotiations, corporate governance, and property management. Her clients include real estate investors and developers, municipalities, industrial/manufacturing operations, dry cleaners, and petroleum and agricultural companies.
Additionally, Andrea focuses a portion of her practice on appeals, having participated from both the judicial and advocacy perspectives in Indiana’s state appellate courts and the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals.
Prior to joining the firm, Andrea practiced business and general civil litigation, as well as appellate advocacy. Before that, she worked with the former-Chief Justice of Indiana, the Honorable Brent E. Dickson, the Honorable Tim A. Baker of the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana, and the Honorable Margret G. Robb of the Indiana Court of Appeals.
- 2017, Outstanding Young Lawyer Award, Indiana State Bar Association’s Young Lawyers Section
- 2013, Law Clerk to Chief Justice Brent E. Dickson, Indiana Supreme Court
- 2013, Faculty Prize, Robert H. McKinney School of Law – most outstanding graduate in terms of scholarship, leadership, and service.
- 2013, Symposium Editor, Indiana Law Review, Law and the Financial Crisis
- 2011, Barrister and Top Advocate in Preliminary Rounds, Robert H. Staton Moot Court Competition
- 2010, Valedictorian Candidate, University of Notre Dame
- J.D., summa cum laude, 2013, Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law
- B.B.A., summa cum laude, 2010, Accounting, University of Notre Dame
- 2013, State of Indiana
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Indiana, 2013
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Indiana, 2013
- Member, Indiana State Bar Association – Young Lawyer Liaison to the Law Student Committee (current); Social Media Focus Group (current); Litigation Section Council (2013-15); Leadership Development Academy, Class III (2014)
- Member, Indianapolis Bar Association – IndyBar Review Working Committee (current); Bench Bar Retreat Social Planning Committee (current); Law Student Division Executive Board (2010-13)
- Associate, Indianapolis American Inn of Court (2013-16)
- Member, Phi Delta Phi International Legal Honor Society
- Member, Beta Alpha Psi Honor Society (Accounting)
- Member, Beta Gamma Sigma Business Honor Society
- Board Member, Hillsborough Community Association
- Planning Committee, Windy 500 Regatta, Indianapolis Sailing Club
- Judge, McKinney School of Law Robert H. Staton Intramural Moot Court Competition
- Judge, We the People Competition
- Volunteer, Ask-A-Lawyer Program
2016 | Speaking Engagement
Speaker, The Art of Bluebooking, Indianapolis Bar Association
2015 | Speaking Engagement
Speaker, Magna Carta, Indianapolis American Inn of Court
2014 | Speaking Engagement
Speaker, The 3 R’s of Indiana Election Law Disputes: Redistricting, Recounts, and Residency, Indianapolis American Inn of Court
2014 | Publication
Leading Academic, Business, and Government Figures Convene to Examine Law and the Financial Crisis, 47 Ind. L. Rev. 11 (2014), co-authored with Professor and former-Justice Frank Sullivan, Jr.
2013 | Speaking Engagement
Speaker, Law and the Financial Crisis, Indiana Law Review Symposium
2013 | Publication
Admission of Hearsay through Rule 106: And Now You Know the Rest of the Story, 46 Ind. L. Rev. 11. 499 (2013)