Thao T. Nguyen focuses her practice on insurance coverage for policyholders and complex environmental and commercial litigation. She also handles transactions involving environmentally impacted real estate for both buyers and sellers. Thao represents companies, from Fortune 100 to small, family owned enterprises. She also works with municipalities, citizens’ groups and individuals on a wide variety of matters.
Thao is a past chair of the Indiana State Bar Association’s Environmental Law Section. She has served on the board of governors of the St. Joseph County Bar Association and was chair of the Pro Bono Committee for many years. By appointment of Governor Mike Pence in 2014, she currently serves on the Board of Trustees of the Indiana State Museum.
- 2009, Recipient of Indiana Lawyer’s Up and Coming Lawyer Award
- 2010-2011, Named in Indiana Super Lawyers as a Rising Star in Real Estate
- 2012-2019, Selected for inclusion in Indiana Rising Stars – Insurance Coverage
- J.D., 2004, Indiana University Bloomington – Maurer School of Law
- B.A., 2001, Politics with minors in computer science, art history, and women’s studies, Oberlin College
- State of California, 2015
- State of Indiana, 2004
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Indiana, 2004
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Indiana, 2004
- Helped secure a $6.5 million dollar settlement from an insurer for business interruption losses due to an explosion at a metal recycler
- Assisted a manufacturer at a Superfund site, including negotiations with EPA and other PRPs, and securing insurance coverage
- Defended a major pharmaceutical company in toxic tort cases related to pain medication
- Negotiated and drafted development agreements, condominium declarations, purchase agreements, leases, and loan documents on behalf of a developer
- Successfully prosecuted a toxic tort case on behalf of an elderly couple related to E-coli contamination
- Helped a family-owned Indiana manufacturer secure coverage from its liability insurers for environmental contamination occurring over many years
- Represented a municipality in a suit to recover dollars spent for historic environmental contamination
- Member, Indiana State Bar Association
- Member, Oberlin College Alumni Association
- Member, Indiana University Alumni Association
- Member, St. Joseph County Bar Association (Director on Board 2009-2010), Pro Bono Committee
- Robert A. Grant Inn of Court
- Mock Trial Coach, John Adams High School in South Bend, Indiana
2009 | Publication
Indiana Perspective. A summary of environmental legislation for 2009. For more information, click here.
2008 | Publication
Contributing Author, Indiana Perspective. A summary of environmental legislation for 2008. For more information, click here.
2007 | Publication
Indiana Perspective. A summary of environmental legislation for 2007. For more information, click here.
2006 | Publication
Indiana Perspective. A summary of environmental legislation for 2006. For more information, click here.
2005 | Publication
Indiana Perspective. A summary of environmental legislation for 2005. For more information, click here.