Joanne Sommers is uniquely experienced in both litigation and transactional matters. Joanne’s broad foundation allows her litigation practice to inform her transactional practice, and vice versa, to help obtain the best, most cost-effective outcome for her clients.
Joanne focuses her litigation practice on insurance coverage law. She represents policyholders in property and liability insurance coverage and insurance agent liability litigation. Joanne has deep and broad experience with a variety of insurance policies, including commercial general liability, umbrella liability, first-party property (including business interruption), directors and officers, errors and omissions, and pollution liability. Joanne also prosecutes and defends environmental cost recovery and other complex commercial claims, including breach of contract, construction defect, and real estate disputes.
Joanne focuses her non-litigation practice on transactional real estate and business matters for both buyers and sellers. Many of these deals concern environmentally contaminated properties. Joanne can assist clients with all aspects of asset and stock transactions, from contract drafting and negotiation, through due diligence, and to closing. Joanne uses her insurance and environmental training to help clients navigate any environmental concerns and maximize their likelihood of obtaining insurance coverage to pay for any required investigation and remediation.
Joanne also counsels both start-ups and established businesses on corporate governance matters.
Joanne served as a law clerk at Plews Shadley Racher and Braun LLP prior to joining the firm as an attorney. She was also an intern for Judge Jane Magnus-Stinson of the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana, Judge Timothy Oakes of the Marion Superior Court, and Judge Heather Welch of the Marion Superior Court.
- 2023-2024, Selected for inclusion in Best Lawyers in America® Litigation – Insurance
- 2022-2023, Selected for inclusion in Indiana Super Lawyers – Rising Stars
- 2022, Recipient of The Indiana Lawyer’s Up and Coming Lawyer Award
- J.D., 2015, Indiana University, Robert H. McKinney School of Law, Indianapolis, IN, summa cum laude
- B.A., 2011, Marquette University, Milwaukee, WI, summa cum laude
- State of Indiana, 2015
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Indiana, 2015
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Indiana, 2105
- United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit, 2016
- Indianapolis Bar Association
- Indiana State Bar Association
- Sagamore Inn of Court – Associate Member (2017-2021)
- Heritage Place of Indianapolis – Board President
- Kids’ Voice of Indiana – Volunteer Guardian ad Litem
2022 | Speaker
Agency Relationships Policyholders, Insurers and Everyone in Between
2021 | Speaker
Agency Relationships: Policyholders, Insurers and Everyone In Between
2017 | Co-Author
Pointers from the ‘Prentice and the Practiced, Indiana Lawyer
2016 | Speaker
Competition and Confidentiality Issues in Employment Contracts, Indiana Petroleum Marketers Association’s 2016 HR Compliance Seminar
2015 | Publication
“Indiana’s Midwifery Statute and the Legal Barriers that will Render it Unworkable,” Indiana Law Review, Volume 48, Issue 2 (2015)