Joanne Sommers has worked with organizations and individuals in insurance cost recovery litigation, environmental litigation, commercial litigation, and other complex litigation matters. She also handles regulatory and transactional matters for clients in the areas of employment law, real estate, and health care.
Joanne represents businesses and individuals in both litigation and transactional settings. Her broad foundation allows her litigation practice to inform her transactional practice, and vice versa, to help obtain the best, most cost-effective outcome for her clients. She represents policyholders in property and liability insurance coverage and insurance agent liability litigation. She also prosecutes and defends environmental and complex commercial claims. Joanne counsels both start-ups and established businesses on corporate governance matters. She also represents buyers and sellers in commercial real estate and other business transactions focusing on deals that have environmental concerns.
Joanne served as a law clerk at Plews Shadley Racher and Braun LLP prior to joining the firm as an attorney. She was also an intern for Judge Jane Magnus-Stinson of the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana, Judge Timothy Oakes of the Marion Superior Court, and Judge Heather Welch of the Marion Superior Court. Joanne also served as the Legislative Action Committee Chair of the Indiana University National Center of Excellence in Women’s Health.
- 2023, Selected for inclusion in Best Lawyers in America® Litigation – Insurance
- J.D., 2015, Indiana University Indianapolis, Robert H. McKinney School of Law, summa cum laude
- B.A., 2011, Marquette University, Milwaukee, WI, summa cum laude
- State of Indiana, 2015
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Indiana, 2015
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Indiana, 2105
- United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit, 2016
- Indianapolis Bar Association
- Heritage Place of Indianapolis – Board President
2021 | Speaker
Speaker, 2021 Agency Relationships: Policyholders, Insurers and Everyone In Between
2017 | Co-Author
Pointers from the ‘prentice and the practiced, Indiana Lawyer
2016 | Presenter
Presenter, Competition and Confidentiality Issues in Employment Contracts, Indiana Petroleum Marketers Association’s 2016 HR Compliance Seminar
2015 | Publication
“Indiana’s Midwifery Statute and the Legal Barriers that will Render it Unworkable,” Indiana Law Review, Volume 48, Issue 2 (2015)