Curt DeVoe’s practice since 1988 has focused on environmental compliance and litigation. He has a broad knowledge of and experience with Indiana and federal environmental laws and programs that pertain to solid and hazardous waste, wastewater, surface water, groundwater, and wetlands.
Curt regularly negotiates and pursues administrative review of NPDES and industrial wastewater pretreatment permits and enforcement actions under the Clean Water Act and represents property owners in wetland enforcement and mitigation matters under EPA, IDEM, and the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers rules and proceedings. He represents buyers and sellers of properties and business assets involving environmental conditions, including brownfields redevelopment, drafting and negotiating contractual language, transfer of permits, and investigation, assessment and response to contamination and other environmental liabilities.
- 2015-2019, Ranked by Chambers USA
- 2011-2017, Martindale-Hubbel AV Peer Review Rating
- 2009-2021, Listed in Best Lawyers in America®
- 2008, 2010-2020, Selected for inclusion in Indiana Super Lawyers Magazine – Environmental
- J.D., 1988, University of California, Berkeley, School of Law
- A.B., 1982, Princeton University
- State of Indiana, 1988
- United State District Court for the Southern District of Indiana, 1988
- United States Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit, 1988
- Consulted with various industrial and municipal clients concerning compliance with Clean Water Act.
- Represented defendants in various environmental enforcement actions (including criminal investigations) and litigation.
- Negotiated and pursued administrative review of NPDES and industrial wastewater pretreatment permits and enforcement actions under Clean Water Act, including local, state and federal notices of violation, consent orders and agreed orders. Negotiated reduced penalties based upon mitigation and other supplemental environmental projects.
- Represented property owners in wetland enforcement and mitigation matters under EPA, IDEM, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, and Natural Resource Conservation Service (former Soil Conservation Service) jurisdiction.
- Appealed various enforcement and permitting actions concerning wastewater from confined feeding operations and publicly owned treatment works.
- Represented plaintiffs in various lawsuits to obtain recovery of investigation and cleanup costs, completion of cleanup, and property damages relating to petroleum contamination.
- Represented buyers and sellers of real property and business assets involving environmental contractual language, transfer of permits, and investigation, assessment and response to contamination and other environmental liabilities. Businesses included railroads, power plants, metal and plastic recyclers, steel mills, gasoline stations, chemical manufacturers and suppliers, metal treating and finishing operations, a former coke manufacturing plant, manufactured gas plants, natural gas companies, and other manufacturing concerns, commercial facilities, and unimproved former dumping sites.
- Represented property owners participating in the Indiana Voluntary Remediation Program and other voluntary cleanup actions. Sites included a former coke manufacturing plant, a manufactured gas plant, petroleum retail, storage and refining sites, railroad yards, metal treating and machining businesses, chemical manufacturers and suppliers, foundries, a former federal military depot, steel mills, other manufacturing sites, and light industrial and commercial properties.
- Assisted purchasers of contaminated property with obtaining tax relief and private, local, state, and federal grant and loan funding (brownfields redevelopment).
- Counseled various clients concerning spill reporting and underground storage tank regulatory issues and defended against alleged violations.
- Member, Indiana State Bar Association, Environmental Law Section
- Member, Indianapolis Bar Association, Environmental Law Section (Chairman 1996-1997)
- Member, American Bar Association, Section on Natural Resources, Energy, and Environmental Law
- Member, Indiana Voluntary Remediation Agreement Subcommittee (1992-1993) (Assisted Indiana Department of Environmental Management with development of program and documents to implement new Voluntary Remediation Program established by 1992 legislation)
- Member, Indiana Chamber of Commerce, Environmental Committee and Work Groups (1991- present)
- Member, Indiana Manufacturers Association, Environmental Committees and Work Groups (1991 to present)
- Member, Board of Directors, Upper White River Watershed Alliance (2012 – Present)
- Member of Board of Directors, Central Indiana Land Trust, Inc. (Currently Vice President)
- Adjunct Professor, Environmental Law, IU McKinney School of Law, Indianapolis (2007, 2016)
- Member, Tocqueville Society, United Way of Central Indiana
- Chief Driving Instructor, Central Indiana Region, Porsche Club of America (2006-2015)
- Past President and Past Member, Board of Directors, Central Indiana Tennis Association
- Director At Large, United States Tennis Association, Midwest Section (1997- 1999)
2019 | Speaking Engagement
Speaker, Indiana Chamber of Commerce Permitting Conference: Advanced Wastewater Permitting: What’s Coming Down the Pipe with Water?
2017 | Co-Presenter
Wetlands: Legal Updates and Practical Tips, Indiana Environmental Management Conference presented by the Indiana Chamber of Commerce and the Indiana Department of Environmental Management
2017 | Speaking Engagement
Speaker, Understanding your Wastewater Permit and Water Balance, Indiana Chamber Environmental Permitting and Reporting Conference.
2016 | Speaking Engagement
Speaker, Environmental and Other Liability Considerations: The Age of Climate Change and Failing to Anticipate and Prepare for Disaster, When Disasters Strike: What Should You Do for Your Client?, ICLEF Seminar
2015 | Speaking Engagement
Speaker, Insights for the ABA’s Environmental Conference, 2015 Annual ABA Conference
2014 | Speaking Engagement
Speaker, Indiana Water Laws and Regulations, December
2014 | Speaking Engagement
Speaker, Brownfields Resources and Partners Workshop – Legal Issues
2014 | Speaking Engagement
Speaker, Indiana Continuing Legal Education Forum’s 36th annual Judge Robert H. Staton Indiana Law Update Seminar
2013 | Speaking Engagement
Co-Author and Presenter, “Wetlands in Agricultural Areas” at the Indiana State Bar Association Agriculture Section Annual Meeting and CLE