Jennifer Girod regularly advises our clients on compliance and regulatory matters, including the federal Stark Law, Fraud and Abuse laws, corporate law matters, and other corporate counsel matters. She advises clients on all aspects of health care compliance, including development or improving the effectiveness of compliance programs, and assisting clients with Medicare and Medicaid self-disclosures and government investigations.
Jennifer has more than 20 years of experience in health care, including substantial time in hospitals. She worked with patients and their families as a Registered Nurse in a Cardiac Critical Care Unit, and for over two years, served as the Chief Compliance Officer for a health system that includes an acute care hospital, federally qualified health center and public health department. Her knowledge of the complexity of patient care and health care operations results in a nuanced legal and business analysis for her clients, ranging from individual health care practitioners, to multi-professional physician groups, to multi-hospital health systems.
- J.D., 2007, summa cum laude, Indiana University – Robert H. McKinney School of Law
- Ph.D., 1999, Indiana University, Bloomington, IN
- A.S.N., 1996, Indiana University, Bloomington, IN
- B.A., 1990, Indiana University, Bloomington, IN
- State of Indiana, 2007
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Indiana, 2007
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Indiana, 2007
- Reviewed hundreds of contracts between physicians and hospitals as part of a comprehensive Stark Law review in a large hospital system; counseled the hospitals on how to remediate problematic contracts; and self-disclosed contracts with probable Stark Law violations to the Department of Justice.
- Served as outside associate general counsel for several hospitals, drafting or reviewing all types of contracts, including employment contracts, leases, professional services contracts, grants, affiliations, and purchase agreements.
- Served as compliance counsel to compliance officers at hospitals and physician practice groups. Reviewed or drafted Compliance Plans and core compliance policies and procedures; created and administered compliance education for employees, medical staff, executive staff, and Boards of Directors.
- Served as Chief Compliance Officer to a health system under a Corporate Integrity Agreement (CIA).